There was a Bewitched marathon on this weekend and besides being hit in the face about 10 times an episode with the Stephens’ family’s 50’s values I remembered how much I liked the way Elizabeth Montgomery speaks. She sounds so classy! I bet she never swears.I swear a lot and I think I am decidedly un-classy, in both elocution and general presentation. I decided I’m going to try to class myself up by cutting back on the swearing. This is Day 1. Supposedly it takes about 3 weeks to break in or out of a habit, so this experiment will last the rest of January. I swear (heh) that this is NOT a New Year’s Resolution, it’s simply a behavioral experiment I am using as fodder for blogging.
So here’s the set-up.
1. I have estimated that I swear approximately 30 times per day and my boyfriend has even noticed an increase in my usage of the F-Word.
2. I want to completely eliminate the F-word and the S-word from my vocabulary.
3. I am using the ol’ swear jar method. A quarter goes in for each written and verbal utterance of either of the aforementioned words. I included written because so much of my life takes place over e-mail these days that it’s not uncommon for me to type the F- or S-words without even thinking about it.
4. I will tally up the quarters at the end of each week to monitor any decline in my swearing.
5. My boyfriend will be helping me out by letting me know when I’ve let one slip without even noticing it
Depending on the success of this experiment I may work on my Big Three swears which are: Goddammit, Son of a bitch, and asshole. Frequently all used together. But I am pretty attached to those ones and I’m not sure I’m ready to let them go just yet.
Also, I refuse to come up with some dumb replacement word. The point is to become more eloquent. Eloquent speakers don’t use “fudge” instead of “f***”, they use a more descriptive word to articulate their emotions. So, no “shucks” for me, it’s either “I dislike this situation because of its inconvenience to me” or nothing at all!
Wish me luck and let me know if you have any tips to stop swearing.