It’s that time of year. Time to feel the pressure to give the perfect gift to the person you love. I have dated some really thoughtful guys, all of whom have managed to at some point give me something really thoughtful. Some of those same guys have also given me a serious case of bad-present face.
The 5 Best Gifts I’ve Ever Received from a Boyfriend
1. One boyfriend designed for me my very own monogram and had it tooled onto a leather journal with the wish that I would become a writer.
2. Another guy organized an ice-skating trip to the outdoor rink downtown. He then got one of his photographer friends to sneak around taking pictures of us so we had this totally sweet picture to cherish.
3. One year I was feeling really bad about myself as I grew out a pixie. My boyfriend at the time found the best hairdresser in town and bought me gift-certificates enough to work through that awkward mullet phase.
4. Another guy I dated listened to the fact that I didn’t want to do Christmas gifts. We stayed home, made dinner, and watched cheesy movies. It was the best.
5. A college boyfriend surprised me with a trip to New York and tickets to see a play by one of my favorite playwrights.
The 5 Worst Gifts I Have Ever Received from a Boyfriend
1. An ice-scraper. In fairness, it was a very nice ice-scraper.
2. A camera that was more a gift for him than for me.
3. A cheap scarf from Paris that the dude had bought for himself because he was cold, but gave to me when he remembered he should have gotten me something.
4. Tickets to a concert to see a band that was his, not my, favorite.
So, readers, what are your best and worst gifts? Have you been suffering from present face?