This is a little something I came up with one night when I was craving Beef Stroganoff but didn’t have the time to make it. It’s now one of my boyfriend’s favorites, and I normally have all the things needed to make it on-hand. It’s pretty fast to make, too – however long it takes the noodles to boil!
This makes enough for two people, possibly with some saucy leftovers. I normally have bread with it to eat with the remaining sauce. Also, I am sure you can make your own gravy rather than using a packet, but I don’t because a $.40 packet takes less time and tastes just as good. It’s pretty easy to multiply, and fairly inexpensive. I use the cheap cuts of beef you can buy in “family packs” at the grocery store.
What you’ll need:
- 8 oz. egg noodles
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Half an onion, cut into thin slices
- A cup of fresh mushrooms, or a 4-ounce can, drained (I like using lots of mushrooms, so you can add more or less, depending on your tastes)
- 1 lb. beef, cut into strips
- 1 packet brown gravy
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
What you need to do:
- Boil water for noodles. I normally salt the water, but that’s optional. Cook noodles according to package instructions.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium-sized pan over medium-high heat. Add onions and saute until semi-transluscent.
- Toss in beef, sauteing until the outsides are brown (but the inside is not cooked through). Add mushrooms, and stir for 1-2 minutes, until starting to cook.
- Mix gravy packet according to package, then pour into pan. Bring to a boil and allow to reduce.
- Stir in sour cream. Add parsley, then salt and pepper to taste.
And voilÃ ! Serve the beef and gravy over the noodles, and sop up the extra gravy goodness with a loaf of your favorite bread or warm rolls.Related