Why Color blocking?: Color blocking is hot right now because it a) looks good on all shapes and 2) is a fun way to add pops of color to your outfit without having to work with frustrating pattern combinations. It can hide the parts you don’t love as much while emphasizing the parts you love the most. Plus, it’s a new twist on some retro fabulous looks of the ’60s and late’ 80s. What’s not to love?
Easy Ways to Color Block:
1) Jacket or cardigan: Pair a solid colored jacket or cardigan with a different color dress/pant/skirt. If you’re feeling really bold, throw in a different solid color shoe and, Voila! looking fierce and color block fabulous. What I love about the Burberry look below is how they put a patterned shirt underneath the jacket, it compliments well. This would look just as hot with a solid turquoise color shirt underneath to match the shoe’s color blocking.
2) Color blocked dress: So many designers at all price points are making color blocked dresses this season. Target, H & M, Lane Bryant, Tommy Hilfiger, Jigsaw, Calvin Klein, Topshop, DKNY — basically you can’t go in a women’s store without finding something color blocked. Dresses are wonderful and easy to for this trend because all you have to do is find one with a pattern/shape you like and wear it. I love pairing a color blocked dress with fun, patterned tights and solid colored flats for a fun but work-appropriate outfit. Color blocking is also a great way to highlight your assets for a night out.
3) Solid pant and solid top: Maybe even the easiest way to apply this trend is a solid color pant with a solid color top. Sure this works with black pants and a white top, but why not play with color and proportion? Pair purple skinny jeans with yellow tunic. Or like the photo of Hilary Duff below: skinny jeans, loose tunic tank, sassy bright sports bra.
4) Color Blocked Accessories: There are so many color block purses and shoes on the market right now, why not add one to your wardrobe to sass it up? Pair one of these with what you’ve already got and you’ve got an easy way to enjoy this trend and add a little something interesting to your look. Another way to accessorize is adding a bright solid colored scarf to complement a solid colored outfit. Yellow scarf with your little black dress? Yes Please.
5) Color blocked nails: Easy, fun, interesting. Add a stripe, french tip or diagonal to bring this trend to your nails.
In closing, I had to add a photo from the color block master: Jason Wu. I love the way he mixes neutral colors yet makes it fun and fresh and something you could wear anywhere. Well, something I’d like to wear anywhere and everywhere.
Sources used to glean color block wisdom:
Happy Color Blocking!