Spring is just around the corner. In most places, the weather is brightening up, clocks just changed (or will in a few weeks), and we’re well on our way out of the winter doldrums. For the first couple of months, I’ve focused a lot on how to react positively to negatives around you”¦ now it’s time to start turning that positivity on ourselves. The first step to doing that: learning how to accept compliments.
I’m not really sure why I, along with many other people I know, find it so hard to take compliments. Whether it’s fear of appearing arrogant, uneasiness with complimenting back, or just a genuine disbelief in what you’re being complimented on, the urge to talk down the compliment is strong. But shutting out the good things others think of you can be seriously detrimental to your emotional well-being. Since we’ve already mastered the art of the Drive-By Compliment, it’s time we master the art of gracefully accepting compliments ourselves.
- The first step in learning to accept compliments – Just Say Thanks. When complimented, just say, “Thank You.” No matter what excuses for how you didn’t deserve that compliment come to mind, just say, “Thank You.” Providing reasons why the person who complimented you shouldn’t have is dismissive of what they thought was worth complimenting. Kinda rude, when you think about it.
- Next, think about the compliment that was paid to you. Even if you don’t 100% agree with it, the person who said it to you thought it was worth complimenting. If they saw it inside you, others probably do, too… they just don’t tell you all the time.
- Start internalizing the compliment. Look yourself in the mirror tomorrow and repeat the compliment to yourself. You’re awesome. Someone else saw it… let your self see it.
This Week’s Challenge
Take a compliment and internalize it: find one thing that’s awesome about yourself. Share in the comments below if you’d like so we can all celebrate your awesomeness, too.
This Week’s Mantra
A reminder for when you start forgetting: You are, actually, awesome.
If you want a reminder of your mantra for the next week, feel free to click the image above to download the full size version suitable for desktop wallpapers, printing, or framing.
Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional or mental health expert, and there are problems that positivity cannot overcome, so please do not take this advice in lieu of a doctor’s care.
Not all challenges will be relevant to everyone, so I welcome you to come and go as you please and take from each challenge what works for you! Please make sure to share your thoughts in the comments!
Latest posts by Crystal Coleman (see all)
- New Show Recap: Bones Episode 9.09, “The Fury in the Jury - November 18, 2013
- New Show Recap: Bones, Episode 9.08, “The Dude in the Dam” - November 13, 2013
- New Show Recap: Bones, 9.07, “The Nazi on the Honeymoon” - November 6, 2013