As an American, I want to clarify that I would want to live in the 1960s in the United States. I just feel like this was a time of movement, change, and excitement. While things were still “old fashioned” from my perspective they were also changing, and quickly. Also, I would’ve wanted to be a young adult in the 60s, like in my mid 20s, so I guess I would’ve wanted to have been born around 1940.
1) Feminism in the ’60s. Yes. Just Yes. The publication of The Feminine Mystique. The founding of the National Organization for Women. Marches for women’s liberation. The possibility of befriending Gloria Steinem. Oh the list goes on and on, and oh how I can dream. I think it’s the feminist in me who would have just love to have witnessed this critical moment in the battle for women’s rights and reproductive rights.
2) Civil Rights movement. To have seen and heard the speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr. and the marches of Malcolm X. To have fought for civil rights would have been so challenging and exciting at the same time. I am so sure I would’ve been right at the front lines of the Civil Rights movement. I know it was a struggle, but it was a beautiful struggle.
3) Social Revolution, Counterculture and the Anti-War Movement. The birth of hippies. Having a VW van plastered in anti-war stickers. The ties to the sexual revolution and feminism. Protests and sit-ins for peace.
4) The fashion. I love the clothes and hair from the ’60s. Skirts and dresses for women. Men still wearing suits and hats. And then the progression into mod looks and hippie-style bell bottoms. Oh yes.
5) The music. Music was starting to super rock. There were so many types of music that started at this time. You’ve got Julie Andrews singing Mary Poppins, Motown, rock and roll, The Beatles, and classic rock legends like Bob Dylan and Robert Plant. I really love music from this decade.
6) Films. The Sound of Music. Alfred Hitchcock. This was a great decade for film and an especially good decade for musicals.
In summary, I would’ve wanted to befriend Gloria Steinem, challenge social norms of the time socially and politically, and wear really fabulous clothing. Thanks for indulging my ’60s fantasies. What decade would other folks have wanted to live in?