There is no need for an excuse when it comes to good food. So without further ado I present to you: banoffee pie.
Preparation time – 30 minutes
Cooking time – 15 minutes
- 250g (1 cup) granita biscuits (Ed note: Granita are Australian cookies. Graham crackers can be substituted if you are reading this in a country that does not carry this brand.)
- 125g (1/2 cup) butter, melted
- 2-3 bananas
- 300ml (approx. 10 oz) double cream
For the caramel filling
- 395g (approx. 13-14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
- 70 g (1/3 cup, firmly packed) brown sugar
- 50g (approx. 1/4 cup) butter
Place the biscuits in the bowl of a food processor and process until finely crushed. Add the butter and process until well combined. Divide the mixture over your tin/spring form/whatever and use the back of a metal spoon to firmly press the mixture over the base and sides. Place into the fridge until required.
To make caramel filling, place condensed milk, sugar and butter in a medium sauce pan over low heat. Cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, for 10-12 minutes or until caramel thickens. Do not boil.
Pour the hot caramel evenly among the base. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 1 hour to chill.
Peel and thinly slice bananas and arrange over the caramel filling. Whipped cream and/or cacao can top the party off.