Fall always makes me a little melancholy, but it is a sweet kind of sadness and I sort of enjoy it. There are certain songs that bring about the same feeling every time I hear them, my own bittersweet symphonies, if you will. Here they are, my top five melancholy songs:
- “Fire and Rain,” by James Taylor
- “The Load Out/Stay,” by Jackson Browne
- “Killing Me Softly with His Song,” by Roberta Flack (Apparently the 70s were a good time for bittersweet music.)
- “The Stranger,” by the Cure
- They Might be Giants, Flood. It’s such a happy album, but I listened to it constantly when I was younger and had a crush on a boy who only had eyes for someone else.
So what about you? Is there any music that you love, even though it makes you sad?