I’ve been working with a few temp agencies trying to get some kind of income until a full time position in Preferred Career (PC) comes along. They mostly get positions in Fall Back Career (FBC), which is understandable. I was pretty clear when I met with the agencies — I need a job, any job, but one that I’ll be able to let go when a great PC opportunity arises. I got a call one day with a good FBC opportunity at a big company (that it’d be great to break into), on a five month contract. She stressed that, big company does background checks so puts a lot of money behind hiring and asked if there was any impediment if I were offered the position.
Here’s where my honesty does me wrong: I told her that I had a couple interviews for full time PC jobs pending, one I should hear back by next week, and the other interviewing in a few days. I said that, if I were offered the big company FBC position, I would definitely make sure the others were off the table before accepting. She backed off and said that we should wait on this one until I know from the other interviews. So basically, I talked myself out of that opportunity.
What would you do in a similar situation? Do you lay it all out there, taking what’s best for the company into consideration? Or is it every woman for herself in the cutthroat job market?