You may already be familiar with the amazing Sara Habein from her long stint here at Persephone Magazine. She has excellent taste in music, an ear for news, and happens to be an all around gal of many talents. Here, she shares with us her picks for our 5 Books series.
1. Which book would you give to a potential significant other?
Probably my favorite book, THE MYSTERIES OF PITTSBURGH by Michael Chabon. Because how the person reacted to the bisexuality of the main character would likely be a good barometer of what sort of personal issues we may/may not have. Plus, it’s my favorite book, and I enjoy having co-conspirators when it comes to my favorite things.
2. Which book would you give to a high school senior?
TINY BEAUTIFUL THINGS: ADVICE ON LOVE AND LIFE FROM DEAR SUGAR by Cheryl Strayed. Because Sugar is full of magic and wisdom.
3. Which book would you give to your political representatives?
I’m not sure. Would they even read it? Somehow, I doubt it. Maybe they need some Sugar love too. That should just be my default answer: When in doubt, consult Sugar. Sugar will help you discover the answers you seek.
4. Which book would you give to a former teacher?
It would be fun to say MINE! Unfortunately, many of my former, favorite teachers are no longer alive. Please hold while I pour one out for Mrs. Nagengast and Mr. Kirk.
5. Which book would you give to your best friend?
JUST KIDS by Patti Smith. It is just outstanding, and I have a hunch that all my closest friends (who haven’t already read it) would really enjoy it. In Patti Smith We Trust.
Latest posts by [E] Slay Belle (see all)
- 31 Days of Halloween, Day 22: Women Helmed Horror Films - October 22, 2014
- 31 Days of Halloween — Day 20, Possessed Pregnancies - October 20, 2014
- 31 Days of Horror — Day 17, What’s New to Read? - October 17, 2014