Q: When you do 20/10s, what do you do during your ten minute breaks? When my timer goes off I often find myself looking around for different things to clean before realizing I’m supposed to be on a break. Tips for making the most of those ten minutes?
A: First off, I remove myself from the area I’ve been working on, because otherwise, I find it nearly impossible not to continue working. So, if I’ve been cleaning the living room, I go to my bedroom. If I’ve been working in the bedroom, I head to the living room.
Some things I do during my breaks:
- Read a little bit in a book I only let myself read as a reward for doing things I don’t want to do.
- Go online for a short while, and then when the timer goes off, the computer immediately goes into sleep mode.
- Play a few rounds of Scramble or Two Dots or whatever game I’m wasting time with at the moment.
- Throw the ball for my dogs.
- Watch a TV show up to a commercial break (or where one would be if I’m streaming on something without commercials).
- Work on a sewing project. (This works because I have a rule where I stop sewing when I start swearing, and that’s never more than ten minutes.)
- Let’s be honest, I’m either on the computer or playing iPhone games 90% of the time, but I do the other stuff pretty regularly, too.
And yes, your final 20/10 is really a 20/indeterminate amount of time, but I still like to take the first ten minutes after I’m done to do something that’s clearly a reward for myself before I go on with the rest of my day.
Have a question? Submit it through our Ask Us page!