We at Persephone magazine are big fans of keeping it simple. This applies to our commenting policy as well.
1. How to become a commenter: Click the register link in the top bar. After you receive a confirmation email, you can log in.
2. How to be an awesome commenter: We will let a lot of things slide in the name of sparking good conversations, but we ask that you keep the following in mind when you post:
- Empathy – are you at least trying to look at an issue from someone else’s perspective?
- Levity – we have a warm place in our cold, cold hearts for comments that display a sense of humor. Make us laugh and win us over for ever.
- Vitality – are you adding something lively and important to the conversation?
- In context – does your comment fit the post to which you are replying? We love personal stories, but keep ’em on topic.
- Sensitivity – be aware that not everyone who visits this site has the same experiences. Opinions will differ because you’re all unique and come from a unique set of circumstances. Respect that we all have subjects that are of particular importance to us, and we all may respond passionately about those issues. Listen and think before you post.
In other words, our commenting policy boils down to ELVIS, and ELVIS says to be cool to each other.
Additionally, the standard blanket rules apply – no spam, don’t pimp your own site/blog beyond reason, don’t be a jerk, don’t post porn, don’t post copyrighted material without a source and
keep the swearing to a minimum. A few random cuss bombs are fine, just keep on the sassy rather than the vulgar end of the continuum. Yeah, we’re actually okay with swearing.
We reserve the right to delete any comments for any reason at our discretion, and we reserve the right to warn, suspend and ban commenters who repeatedly thwart our efforts at civility.