Because we’re nerds, and we love alliteration.
Did you know”¦
- “¦that it’s apple season? While the US grows over 2,000 varieties of apple, the top five in 2009 were Red Delicious, Gala, Golden Delicious, Granny Smith, and Fuji. Get in the spirit by making an apple recipe.
- “¦that there’s a method for opening a champagne bottle with a knife? Practice with care, and you have yourself a fun party trick.
- “¦that you can replace most of the oil in a baking recipe with applesauce? You need about half as much applesauce as the recipe calls for oil, while retaining about 2 tablespoons of oil in the recipe. You may have to experiment with this substitution until you get it just right.
- “¦it is believed that the word “salary” as payment for work refers to salt? In ancient times, salt was very valuable, and soldiers were given an allowance to buy it.
- “¦that you should drain eggplant before you cook with it? Just cut the slices or cubes you need for your recipe, sprinkle some coarse or kosher salt on them, and wait 30 to 60 minutes for the eggplant to “sweat” the water. Briefly rinse, pat dry, and you’re ready to go!
- “¦that Cheez Whiz has been around since 1953?