Hello lurkers! How are you? Are you having a nice time here at Persephone? I love lurkers, because I am one. I’ve been on the shadowy fringes of the Internet since before some of you could reach the light switch, and I have lurked in every corner.
However much I respect lurking, we’d love it if some of you would take this thread as an opportunity to introduce yourselves. Jumping in at a new place can be scary, but we’ve got some of the best commenters on the web here, I can almost promise you’ll get a really warm welcome and maybe even make a new friend.
(Aside: Why does spellcheck hate the word commenters? What else would one call a group who makes comments?)
We’re very lenient about moderating comments here. We welcome disagreement. Heck, sometimes we like poking disagreement with a stick, but we don’t tolerate personal attacks. We have members and staff who come from a wide range of backgrounds and experiences, we’re all going to see the world differently. Fortunately, we’ve never had much of a problem with any of our comment threads. Because you guys are awesome.
I saw a few comments wondering about the protocol for open threads, and there really isn’t one. We put one up every weekday at 10p EST (GMT -5), Friday’s OT stays around until we start posting again on Monday. You can talk about whatever you’d like in the open threads. Some ideas, if you need ’em:
- share favorite recipes
- tell us what you’re doing right now
- talk about the TV show you’re watching
- post a link to a new band you love
- ask advice from your fellow Persephoneers
- gossip about cute celebrities
- play forum game favorites like Would You Rather or Fuck, Marry, Kill
- pimp your blog
- talk about your cat
- declare your allegiance to the anti-Oxford comma coalition, Team Right (Lies! Team Oxford Comma is clearly superior. -PoM)
- place bets on who would win a beer pong battle between the staff of Other Ladyblog and the Persephone writers. (Hint: us. There’s more of us, and I bet more of us can stomach cheap ass beer.)
- gripe about that asshole who did that thing that made you pissed
- write dirty limericks about Andrew Garfield’s hair
- play truth or dare
In other words, have lots of fun. : )
Okay, ready? EVERYONE IN THE POOL!