My sweet tooth is still nagging me, so after the trivia answers feel free to use the open thread to talk about your favorite sweet things. Or something you think may be made of lies and glue, because that’s my new favorite phrase.
1. What is the difference between ice cream, frozen custard and gelato? Gelato actually has less milk fat than ice cream, but it has less air stirred into it so it seems richer. Frozen custard usually has egg in it.
2. What is a petite fours and what does “petite fours” actually mean? Petite fours are pretty, tiny little cakes and “petite fours” does indeed mean “little oven” in French.
3. What is the main ingredient in marzipan? Marzipan is not, in fact, made of lies and glue, it is made of almond meal and sugar.
4. Where would you find Rainbow Balls in Coconut Cream? Taiwan, or a restaurant that specializes in Asian desserts.
5. What is Frog Cake? Frog Cake is a specialty created at the Balfours bakery in South Australia. It is a little sponge cake covered in cream and fondant and made to look like a frog.
6. Which one would you most likely have for dessert: Spotted Dick, Bubble and Squeak, or Inky Pinky? Spotted dick is a fruit studded pudding. Bubble and squeak is a cabbage dish and inky pinky is like a pot roast. Which one you would like for dessert is up to you.
7. What are Bisteeya, Pyrih, Vlaai, and Zelnik? They are all types of pie.
8. How old is cheesecake? Older than Jesus. There have been cheesecake recipes found from Ancient Greece.
9. Where are most cacao (chocolate) beans grown? Western Africa. I would have thought it was South America too.