Did you have fun with the colors? Are you having a good week? Or are you just glad that the weekend is on the horizon? If Tuesday is Delurkification Day, then I am declaring Wednesday to be All the Answers Day. Take this opportunity to ask us, or your fellow commenters, anything you want to know. We’ll do our best to answer, starting with the answers to Tuesday Trivia:
1. Bittersweet is a reddish brown, one of my favorites from the classic box of 64 Crayola crayons.
2. Cerulean is a lovely shade of blue.
3. Puce is a weird reddish, greyish, purple.
4. Chartreuse is a vivid cross between lime and pea green.
5. Cerise is a purplish red, like cherry juice.
6. Buff is a light tan with a hint of pink.
7. Cinnabar is red with a touch of orange-brown.
8. Phthalocyanine is an electric green-blue. In paint you usually get either Phthalo Green, which is a bright blueish green, or Phthalo Blue, which is a bright greenish blue.
9. Umber is a dark black-brown.
10. Verdigris is the color of oxidized copper, like Statue of Liberty minty green.
11. Amaranth is actually a dull purplish red.
12. Wenge is a beautiful deep brown, named for a type of wood.
13. Coquelicot is a vivid poppy red.
14. Halaya Ube is a deep lavender, and a Filipino purple yam.
15. Smalt is actually a rich lapis blue. It has an interesting history, going back as a popular pigment color for artists as far back as the sixteenth century. Who knew?