I’m kind of excited this week. Why? Because Once Upon a Time is finally starting on Friday. I have high hopes for the new show; I love fairy tales and so far the buzz on this fairy tale-inspired drama has been pretty positive. Tonight, in honor of Once Upon a Time, I have fairy tale trivia on deck.
- How long have we been using the phrase “Once upon a time?”
- When was the first Grimm brothers’ fairy tale collection published?
- Who is Aschenputtel?
- In The Six Swans, what did the princess have to do in order to break the spell that had changed her brothers into swans?
- In The Brave Little Tailor, what does “Seven at one blow” really refer to?
- Snow White and Rose Red is a story about two sisters, a bear and _______?
- What gift does Beauty ask for that gets her father in trouble with the Beast?
- Who compiled the “Color” Fairy Books?
- Why does Scheherazade tell stories for 1001 nights?
- How does the huntsman convince his queen that he has killed Snow White?
Last question, what does “a variety of european bellflower used in the making of salads” have to do with classic fairy tales? I’ll give you a hint:
15 replies on “Fun Time Open Thread: Once Upon a Time”
1. No idea.
2. Also no idea.
3. I think that’s another name for Cinderella.
4. Spin coats for them out of nettles and also not say a word for seven years, which got really difficult when they put her on trial for witchcraft.
5. He killed seven flies with one blow. That must have been a big flyswatter.
6. A dwarf who is very fond of his beard.
7. A rose.
8. Andrew Lang. And God bless him for it. :-)
9. So her crazy sultan husband will be too eager to hear what happens next to chop her head off, since he made a habit of marrying and then chopping the bride’s head off the next day. I think his first wife cheated on him or something and he decided to punish all of femininity for it. Jerk.
10. He brings her the heart of an animal in a box and tells her it’s Snow White’s. I’ve heard a deer, a boar, and a pig. And in some versions, she eats it. Blech.
11. I think that’s what Rapunzel is named for, yes?
I’ve been to Antwerp today. Antwerp is cool!
GAH I AM SO EXCITED FOR THIS SHOW. Even though it has Zooey from last season of HIMYM, I love (looooove) fairy tales.
Last question, what does â€œa variety of european bellflower used in the making of saladsâ€ have to do with classic fairy tales? I’ll give you a hint:
Whoops, forgot the last one. Rapunzel was given that name because her mother craved it so badly during her pregnancy- which is why her father crept over the witch’s wall to steal it in the first place.
Fun fact: In some versions, the sister in The Seven White Swans is also forbidden to speak until all of the tunics have been finished, so she’s not even able to cry out when the nettles prick her hands. Now that’s devotion.
The bonus was the only one I knew, even before I looked at the link. Rapunzel is the vegetable that the titular character’s mother craves during pregnancy. Her husband scales a wall to get some and lands on the bad side of an evil witch who demands their daughter in exchange for his life.
I am sooooo excited for Once Upon a Time, though! I have high hopes, but I think it can live up to them.
The only one I know is 10 – the huntsman brings her the heart of a deer he killed.
I’m mostly posting to lament my white wine – my boyfriend and I both applied for our dream job today, and it’s the same job. Uuuuugh. I’m going to be happy for him if he gets an interview, but I’m also going to be bitter, because if he gets an interview, it’s because his dad got him an internship there a couple summers ago. At least, that’s what I’m going to tell myself when I cry in the shower.
But I have an “informational meeting” tomorrow for a neat position that would open a lot of doors, plus a second interview for a big firm that would be a lot of experience, plus the possibility of a full attorney position. But the position I applied for today is my dream job and I really waaaaaaaaaaaaaant it.
I decided I am going to do NaNoWriMo. I don’t know what I’m going to write, but I figure I’ll go with writing what you know. Wish me luck? For all that stuff?
I am totally rooting for them to pick you instead of him. : ) GOOD LUCK!
Thank you! I kind of do, too.
So I’m completely stumped on the trivia, but I wanted to mention that today was our beloved pileofmonkeys birthday!
HAPPY UNICORN COVERED BIRTHDAY TO MY FAVORITE STACK OF PRIMATES.
THANK YOU! It was a roller-coaster of emotions today (I spent four hours at the emergency vet; everything’s mostly fine now), so I’m bending time a little and making tomorrow my birthday, too.
1. Perrault? I’m not sure, but I believe it’s a fairly recent introduction.
2. I believe they were collecting their stories in the early 1800-hundreds.
3.Â Ashenputtle is the Grimm’s Cinderella.
4. She had to sew them coats. She didn’t finish the sleeve on the last coat and her youngest brother has a wing where his arm should be.
6. A dwarf. Their mother is in the story too!
7. Depends on which version of the story — in some, it’s a flower, in others it’s the first branch to knock his hat from his head. The point being, she asks for something simple found in nature which her father takes from the Beast’s property.
8. Andrew Lang.
9. To entertain her new husband, who planned to execute her in the morning. By leaving off each night at a cliffhanger, he kept her alive for another day.
10. He brings her a heart in a box. In some versions, she eats it.
Hah, I didn’t even notice that there was a bonus question. Rapunzel, of course.
1. Since God was a boy.
7. A rose
9. So that her brand new monarch husband won’t have her murdered in the morning. :)
10. Doesn’t he slay a deer and bring its heart to the queen in a box, claiming it’s Snow White’s heart? Is that Totes Disney?