This isn’t a recipe. This is a cheese-delivery system for when you just want some mother-frakkin’ cheese because life is being life and the only thing that will fix it is cheese. Read on to learn how to make one of my staples.
I started making this because I love mac and cheese but find homemade, not-from-the-box mac and cheese to be just too much work on a weeknight. Even the least culinary of you could make this. You’ll need:
- Pasta enough for one – I like linguini because there is something about the way it holds the cheese that I love, but you could use anything you have.
- A bag of shredded cheese. I like the Mexican blend. If you are feeling gourmet, you could buy some amazing cheddar and shred that.
- A pat of butter. I’ve been buying the expensive European butter lately, and it is better.
- Boil some water. Toss some salt in once it’s come to the boil. Put pasta in the water and boil until al dente.
- While the pasta is cooking, put a pat of butter and a handful of shredded cheese into a bowl. I probably end up with about 1/2 a cup of cheese, but it’s all done by feel and how much cheese I want.
- Once the pasta is done, dump it out into a colander, reserving a couple spoonfuls of the cooking water. DO NOT RINSE IT. You want all of that starchy goodness to stay on the pasta because it acts like velcro (Alton Brown told me this).
- Put the pasta and the couple spoonfuls of cooking liquid in the bowl. Mix with the cheese. It should get all melty and buttery, but if it needs some help, pop it in the microwave for about 20 seconds.