Living with other people can be awesome and fun! It can also be a huge pain in the ass.
At times I look around and seriously contemplate getting my own studio apartment. Living with kids is a lot like what living in a frat house is like, or at least what I’ve seen of them. Half-empties are everywhere. Stickers gets slapped everywhere. My feet sometimes stick to the floor, and I’ve sat in gum.
The tub is probably cleaner, since the kids use it every day, but other than that, keeping things tidy is not a top priority for my young roommates.
So sometimes I dream of my own private space. I’d even be cool with a room over the garage, or a little alcove in our non-existent basement. If I lived by myself I would:
1) Have different towels for different purposes! The hand towels would not be mistaken for kitchen towels and vice versa.
2) Put the dining room chairs at the table. The comforter would be on the bed. There would be no fort in the hallway.
3) Speaking of the hallway, it wouldn’t be a minefield with pieces and parts lying in wait for bare feet.
4) Have a kickass list of recommendations on my Netflix account, suggestions honed by my obsessions with particular movies and television shows. The “For Sally J” suggestions wouldn’t include Skydancers or The Super Mario Brothers Show.
5) Put everything back where it belongs. I wouldn’t rifle through random things and then put them all in different spots. I wouldn’t rip up mail for fun. I’d live dangerously and leave Sharpies out on the table. I’d have fragile things lower than six feet off the ground.
I know the blanket forts won’t last forever, and that at some point, I’d wish the kids were at home watching Netflix instead of out doing whatever it is they’ll be doing. So I’ll suck it up, and maybe only occasionally check into a hotel for some uncluttered me time.
What’s your list of pet peeves for you roommates, adult, pint-sized, feathered or furry?