So you’ve got a naked wall and no money left in your decorating budget, what do you do?
You could recycle those inspirational posters from college, or you could make your own wall art for less than twenty bucks and in less time than it takes to cook a frozen pizza.
[fancy_list style=”circle_arrow” variation=”slategrey”]
- 3 12″ square picture frames
- 3 sheets 12″ scrapbook paper in patterns that appeal to you
- a straightedge
- a utility knife, paper cutter or scissors
- hammer and nails or drill and screws
- a pencil
- a tape measure or yardstick
- three small pieces of scotch tape
- Remove the backs from the frames and pull out the insert – this will be your pattern. (I got this three pack of frames from Target for $16.99)
- Put the scrapbook paper fancy side down on a flat surface and trace around the pattern with the pencil.
- Trim the edges of the scrapbook paper with the utility knife, paper cutter or scissors.
- Place the scrapbook paper into the frame and replace the frame back.
- To hang three pictures side by side, like my project, find the center of the wall where you’ll be hanging your art, and measure 5½ feet from the floor. The center of your center frame should line up with that spot. Mark it with a pencil. Measure the length from the center of the back of the frame to the hanging hardware, then make a pencil mark that far above the previous mark. Place a piece of clear tape over the mark to prevent your drywall or plaster from crumbling when you place your nail or screw.
- Measure 15″ from the center mark in each direction with your straightedge and make a pencil mark in each spot. Also cover those with tape.
- Screw or nail your hardware of choice into the three spots.
- Hang your art.
- Feel smug and adorable.
[colored_box bgColor=”#4d4d4d”]The Finished Product[/colored_box]
[fancy_images width=”600″ height=”500″]
[image title=”Lazy Wall Art” alt=”Three decorative papers in frames, hung side by side over a rack with three handtowels.” caption=”These papers happen to have glitter designs, although it’s hard to see in the photo.”]http://persephonemagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/LazyWallArt.jpg[/image]