Happy Wednesday, readers! Today, instead of asking you a question, I’m sending you on a quest.
The first P-mag commenter who can bring me an example of the following five internet commenting tropes will win a tiny prize. By example, I mean a link to the source and/or a screenshot of the actual comment. Knowing the internet as I do, I bet we’ll have a winner within 10 minutes of this post running. I think you may have to go outside P-mag’s Hallowed Halls to find these things, because our readers and commenters are the best on the internet.
1. Find an example of Godwin’s Law.
2. Find a comment where someone struggling with infertility is told to just adopt.
3. Find a comment that begins “I’m not [racist, sexist, homophobic, etc.], but…”
4. Find an angry commenter who has completely missed the point. (Of the article he or she is commenting on, of another comment, of everything – I’m very flexible on this one.)
5. Find an example of a commenter correcting another commenter’s grammar or spelling with a spelling or grammar mistake of their own.