Two years ago, I was in a grad class about families as educators, something I may have mentioned before. A significant part of the class dealt with memory and how memories shape us. As a thought experiment, I picked out specific memories that provide insight into my personality.
- When I was in nursery school, I participated in a JELL-O eating contest. I came in last. Not because I didn’t eat the JELL-O, but because I refused to eat by shoving my face into the plate. I demanded a fork and waited to eat until presented with one. Personality adjectives: difficult, clean
- In the first grade, I failed a test. It was a counting test (apples and oranges, obviously), and I decided to sleep through it because it was so easy. I failed and had to get it signed. I think the nap was worth it. Personality adjectives: over-confident, lazy
- In college, I broke my foot crossing a street because I was not sober. Not wanting to miss a major campus drinking event, I spent the next day pretending it was fine, drinking to dull the pain, and laying as still as possible on a blanket outside. The foot still hurts sometimes. Personality adjectives: creative, irrational, belligerent, persistant
- From about age 4 to about age 10, I wore this green- and black-striped t-shirt dress as often as I could get away with it. It had a huge vinyl heart in the middle. I still have that dress. I don’t wear it anymore. Personality adjectives: resistant, nostalgic
- My cousins and I used to act out skits similar to the ones on “All That.” I was always the Amanda Bynes-type character. Personality adjectives: charismatic, egotistical, attention-seeking.
- I once unwittingly participated in sabotage via cheesecake plot to annoy a vegan in my senior Spanish seminar. I didn’t know it was happening, but once it was in motion, I very quickly jumped in. The plot was simple: have and offer cheesecake, make vegan who guilts everyone about their life choices feel guilty. I have (almost) no regrets. I just really enjoy revenge plots that are relatively harmless and involve cake. Personality adjectives: passive-aggressive, conforming, gluttonous.
- When I was little, my cousin told me there was a werewolf in my parents’ basement. I don’t believe in werewolves, but my parents’ basement still freaks me out, and I try not to go down there alone, ever. Personality adjectives: fearful, gullible
Note: A version of this appeared on my personal tumblr. If you’ve read it before, I have some tumblr posts to delete/set to private.