I’m not one for the daily Facebook posts of gratitude. Nothing wrong with it, they’re just not my deal. But as I reflect on my holiday solo debut last Friday, prepare for an audition tomorrow (suddenly, I’m someone who goes to auditions again!) and get ready to put on my civilian clothes and head to my parents’ for the long weekend, I’ll lay out my own list:
Top 10 Burlesque Thanksgivings
1. Two awesome guy friends, who despite being gay and thus not into the whole boobs thing, come to each new show I’m in, make dirty jokes beforehand, and send me effusive praise after.
2. A sparkly, shiny nerdlesque troupe that lets me dance with a ribbon and wear monkey brain pasties, and that put my goofy butt in the original cast of their forthcoming premiere.
3. An utterly magical weekly cabaret show, with a cast that inspires and motivates me beyond anything I ever thought possible.
4. A body that can move around for hours on end. I may have a love-hate relationship with it, but I’m grateful it is healthy and strong. #blessedwithassetstoshowoffinburlesque
5. This insanely brilliant lady, who’s kind enough to provide guidance and moral support in everything from taking photos to bedazzling underwear.
7. One word: Butthoven!
8. The city of Chicago, which is positively burlesque-rific. Where else can I enjoy whisky and dancing girls on a Wednesday night, for free?
9. Last Friday’s show, where two fellow dancers helped me with a lightning-quick change. This involved one standing behind me and fastening a reindeer-esque collar, while the other patiently held out elbow length white gloves and fitted a silver top hat on my head so it wouldn’t fall off. They did this without my asking, by the way.
Have a happy, glittery Thanksgiving!
Upcoming Chicago appearances (email firstname.lastname@example.org for ticket discounts and more info. I’d love to see you there!):
December 6: The Kiss Kiss Cabaret (Greenhouse Theater Center, 2257 N. Lincoln Ave.)
December 13: Temple of Boobs, Gorilla Tango Burlesque (Gorilla Tango Theatre, 1919 N. Milwaukee)
December 19: Gorilla Tango Burlesque Holiday Cabaret (holiday solo, once again!)
December 20: Temple of Boobs, Gorilla Tango Burlesque
And opening January 10: You Have Died of Sexy: An Oregon Tail Burlesque at Gorilla Tango Theatre