This was a dessert my mother made for only the fanciest of pot lucks. (Such a thing exists in the Midwest.) I used to think it was really complicated. No, it really is just full of things that will kill you. It’s also wonderfully versatile: make it gluten free by using gluten free brownies, sub a different candy for toffee, and so on.
This is for a “family sized” recipe, which will still make a ton. Double for “party sized.”
- 1 box of brownie mix (or use homemade). For this recipe, you don’t need a full 9X13 pan.
- 1 box chocolate pudding mix (or use homemade)
- 8 ounces of whipped topping (something Cool Whip-like will work best), thawed (refrigerated is fine)
- 2 toffee bars, chopped
- Large bowl or other container for serving
1. Bake brownies according to box’s directions.
2. Make pudding according to box’s directions.
3. Assemble ingredients. This looks especially nice in a glass bowl, but any large bowl will do.
4. Layer in the following order until all used up/bowl is filled: brownies, pudding, whipped topping, toffee bar pieces
5. Let chill before serving. Especially tasty the day after.