NETFLIX IS BACK IN MY LIFE.
I finally have time to sit down with my true love, Netflix, and catch up on all the ridiculous things that have been added since I last had a chance to sit down and binge watch.
Girls Just Want to Have Fun is on Netflix, everyone!
If you love oversimplified plots that somehow are fixed through the love of dance, this is for you. Maybe you thought the plot was too complicated in Dirty Dancing. Maybe the drama and tension was too much to handle in Footloose.
If that’s true, we have the perfect fluffy, lady-centric dance movie, that hits on so many movie cliches and contains the perfect ’80s stock characters, it’s guaranteed to please* everyone:
- Awkward, uptight schoolgirl female lead, Janey (Sarah Jessica Parker) with a strict military father and precocious little brother.
- Nice guy working class male lead, complete with factory worker, widower father (Lee Montgomery).
- Rich girl vs. poor girl dramatics.
- The annoying, repressed pervert best friend of the male lead (Jonathan Silverman).
- Bratty younger sister (Shannen Doherty, honing her bitchcraft).
- The rebellious, quirky best friend of the female lead (Helen Hunt) who champions everything Janey does.
- Party crashing scene with inexplicable choreographed dance scene.
- Dance-off within a dance competition (Danception).
(*Moderately entertain people predisposed to loving campy, cheesy dance movies for a short period of time.)
Only in ’80s movies are the stakes ever, “I don’t want your dad to lose his job at the factory any more than I want my daughter to lose this dance contest.” Thanks, Evil Rich Guy. If 50+ minutes of dance montages aren’t entirely convincing you to stop everything and find this movie right now, then I present to you…
Amazing Fashion Choices Made in Girls Just Want to Have Fun
Did you need to see more of the glory that is Girls Just Want to Have Fun? How about…
DANCE FASHION MONTAGE!!!!
All of this is terrible (except for the Mirror Image duo looking like badass circus ringleaders). Who approved these mismatched disasters?
You know what Carol didn’t approve?
Weird Shit that Helen Hunt Wears on Her Head
Aka someone in wardrobe bought some weird toys at the 99 cent store and stuck it to Helen Hunt’s head.
Girls Just Want to Have Fun is now on Netflix and if you aren’t watching it right now, you need to reevaluate everything.