Whip out the slow cooker for this easy, delicious pulled pork recipe that makes enough for a big family, or a small pitch-in.
- 2-3 lb. pork roast, with fat trimmed, cut into 1-inch strips.
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1 can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 T. chili powder
- 2 onions, quartered
- salt and pepper
- 3 C. root beer
- Brown the pork strips in olive oil, a few strips at a time, in a heated skillet. Don’t cook through, just lightly brown on all sides.
- Place pork in slow cooker with onion, peppers, chili powder, salt and pepper. Toss lightly. Pour root beer over meat, making sure the meat is fully covered.
- Cook for 8 hours on low, or 5 hours on high.
- Remove pork and use two forks to shred it. Cover loosely with foil to keep warm.
- Strain all the bits from the cooking liquid and transfer it to a saucepan.
- Cook over medium high heat until liquid comes to a hard boil, stirring constantly. Let boil for 20-30 minutes, until liquid is reduced by half.
- Drizzle over pork.
This pork is great in tacos with a little sour cream, fresh chopped jalapeño, fresh chopped cilantro, and shredded chihuahua cheese. Or by the forkful out of the serving dish.